Senior Product Designer
At Better we are united by our shared passion for outcomes that transform the human experience in healthcare. We are a group of clinicians and technologists who are developing prescription software for treating cardiometabolic diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure. By integrating elements of neuroscience, lifestyle medicine, and artificial intelligence, we have created a new modality for treating a broad range of conditions that share common root causes. We believe software is on the verge of disrupting medicine and we are deeply committed to making sure the products we create for patients are useable, intuitive, intelligent and elegant. Our software has been validated through multiple clinical trials and we are beginning to commercialize with private health insurance companies while pursuing FDA approval for our first prescription digital therapeutic in diabetes.
Our founding team has started, led and exited multiple technology companies that have transformed industries and generated billions of dollars in enterprise value. The 17th Surgeon General of the US, Dr. Richard Carmona, serves as an independent board director.
We were founded in 2015; are headquartered in San Francisco, with operations in Boston, MA, and Nashville, TN.
About the Role
As a Senior Product Designer, you'll be involved in the full life-cycle of design. You will help translate complex concepts in medicine, neuroscience, and behavioral psychology into products that engage patients and effect behavior change resulting in measurable clinical outcomes. You will work closely with the Head of Design and Head of Product, as well as clinicians, product managers, and software developers. We’re looking for thinkers and innovators who are willing to challenge the status quo and are energized by developing creative solutions to complex problems.
In this Role You Will...
- Take on complex problems with brilliant design centric ideas.
- Set the vision for a user experience and work with others on the team to iterate towards that vision.
- Partner closely with engineering and product to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges.
- Present design solutions, defend design decisions, and incorporate feedback.
- Actively participate in design critiques to give and receive feedback from other designers to make your work stronger.
- Take full ownership of your work and take responsibility for every detail each step of the way.
What You Bring
- 6+ years of experience in UX and product design. Consumer mobile experience preferred.
- A strong portfolio that showcases your work, illustrating your involvement and how you've contributed to solving specific problems with functional designs.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams – partnering with product and development to oversee the user experience from conception until launch.
- The ability to think long- and short-term to meet the constraints of the release process while iterating toward a future vision
- A sharp eye for detail and highly developed organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Clear communication and an ability to present your work to internal stakeholders at different design stages and support your decisions.
- An acute self-awareness and deep empathy - for both the customer and your team’s goals.
- You’re fascinated by technology and the way it transforms the way people live and work.
- You know what a growth mindset is, and it embodies the way you live your life. You are always up for a new challenge, not afraid to fail, and insatiably curious.
- You are not intimidated by the fast-paced, dynamic characteristics of startups.
- You have the intellect to grasp complex ideas, a thirst for learning, and the creative drive to tell stories simply, and with impact.
- You are driven by a sense of purpose, and a confidence, competence, and willingness to be accountable.
- You are a critical thinker, but not critical of others.
- You give credit and take responsibility, always defaulting to “we” over “me.”
- The opportunity to do purposeful work in an ego-free and collaborative team environment.
- Generous compensation, equity participation, and comprehensive benefits.
- A physically and mentally healthy workplace, and team dynamics.
- A culture infused with passion and purpose, where curiosity is encouraged, conversation is lively, and differing opinions are treated with respect.